Web.unc.edu has been growing steadily over the past couple of years. It’s come a long way since our first beta group built a website in Fall of 2009 with 15 students. At last count there were over 2700 websites, and 6700 users. With that in mind we knew it was time for us to find a more permanent home for all these sites so that we can continue to handle growth over the coming years.
OASIS, ibiblio, and ITS have teamed up again to build a new infrastructure (series of servers) to house web.unc.edu. We have been hard at work testing everything for months and we are finally ready to move all your sites to these new high-powered servers.
When – Downtime?
- The migration will occur from 4am-12pm on Saturday, May 12th, 2012
- There will be no downtime for this migration, however you will not be able to make any edits to your site during this time.
There are several benefits to this new setup we have for web.unc.edu. Here are a few:
- All the sites are shared across multiple servers.
- There is a load-balancing tool in this new infrastructure that will allow web.unc.edu to handle MUCH more traffic than it has in the past.
- Support – This new system will be supported by ITS, which means that the web.unc.edu can focus on supporting you, and ITS can keep WordPress up to date and secure.
How will we know the migration is complete?
We will post a message on the front page of web.unc.edu once the migration is complete. Once you can see this message on the site, you will be able to log in and edit your site again. We will NOT email you to alert you when we have finished.
Will anything change on my site?
No, all of your data will be migrated and your site will look and function the same as before.
If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.
~ The Web.unc.edu Team