Web.unc.edu is a web publishing service that allows anyone with an Onyen to create their own website at no cost. The service is run on the WordPress platform, so it’s easy-to-use yet offers powerful features and functionality. All websites are hosted on enterprise-level infrastructure and supported by ITS and the Office of Arts and Sciences Information Services (OASIS).
All websites choose an easy to remember URL like http://john.web.unc.edu, http://classname.web.unc.edu, http://project.web.unc.edu or anything else you would like. You can also set up custom domains outside of the standard [name].web.unc.edu such as http://honorscarolina.unc.edu, http://carolinaasiacenter.unc.edu, and blueandwhitemag.com.
The services is run on the backend by open-source software giant WordPress. Here are a few of the features that are available in our installation:
- Several themes (or website designs) to choose from with many configuration options, including the campus federated design.
- Flexible content: create pages and sub-pages, or a blog type post with an easy Microsoft Word like editor.
- Meta-data like categories and tags to help with search engine optimization, and building web databases.
- Privacy options that allow you to hide the entire site, open it to just students, or even the whole world.
- Onyen Authentication (Shibboleth)
- Multiple users and user roles.
- A comprehensive blogging, commenting (and spam protection) system.
- RSS-enabled so you can push out new content to email, facebook, twitter and other sites.
- Create custom forms to gather information
- Multimedia support – photos, documents, and video embedding.
- Events calendars and Registration System
- Social Media Integration for Sharing content
- Unlimited number of sites
If you are interested in creating a site check out our getting started guide, documentation, faq section, or attend a free training or webinar.