The default theme on web.unc.edu is the Carolina Theme, developed by ITS Design Services and OASIS.
Use of the UNC Logo & Web Templates is subject to the acceptable use guidelines.
We have tried to build in as many features as possible to help you really create an amazing site! Here are some getting started videos:
Toolbar and Header Options
Menu’s and Sidebars
Post and Layout Options
Homepage Featured Bulletins
Using Events Widget
Creating Page Banners
Adding a Wiki
Customizing the Background and Logo
- Building a Professional Portfolio Walkthrough – 1 Hour (Elluminate)
- Create Simple Websites Webinar – 2 Hours (Elluminate)
- Building a Department Website Walkthrough – (Elluminate)
Additions and Suggestions
If you have something you would like to be added to the theme, please shoot us an email at email@example.com and we will see what we can do about adding that to the theme.
If you want to use this theme on your own site, feel free! You can download it here:
Version 1.8 – September 9, 2011 (.zip)
- Fix front page Homepage Bulletin display
- Set default front page view to be Sample Page instead of blog view (Can change in Settings – Reading)
- Disable comments by default for all new sites (Can change in Settings – Discussion)
- Added Homepage bulletin archive template for showing all bulletins* Fixed Link Page template layout
- Added shortcode to display events on pages, and other locations. Add [events-display numofpost="5" defaultlink="http://hello.com"] to the page or sidebar to display the events.
Version 1.7 – June 26, 2011 (.zip)
- Added ability to hide UNC Footer
- Add Custom Footer Option in UNC Theme Settings – Footer
- Show Comments link on Blog listing page
- Hide “Older Posts” at top of front page
Version 1.6 – May 27, 2011 (.zip)
- Added verbiage about appropriate use of UNC theme
- Added new featured bulletin style to match UNC Homepage
- Fixed bug with meta widget not working
Version 1.5 – April 11, 2011 (.zip)
- Fixed Logo Height Limitation
- Added ability to customize search page layout (Appearance – UNC Theme Settings – General – Search Page Layout)
- Fix bug with default page layout being a blog
Version 1.4.1 – March 29, 2011 (.zip)
- Create sub-navigation page display options.
- Fix top of sidebar display bleeding into main content.
- Fix subcategory post count listing on second line.
- Fix long post title listing going on second line.
Version 1.4 – March 15, 2011 (.zip)
- Add option to customize background on theme – Appearance – Background
- Added Custom Logo Option. If you are working on a Site and have your own logo you would like to add, you can now do so under Appearance – Logo
- Added Custom Footer Option. You can now disable the Digital Commons theme and set your own under Appearance – Widgets – Footer Wide
- Fixed listing for numbers on category and archive widgets to be on same line
- Show comments links on front page, and option to hide them in metadata fields.
- Fixed bug with bold items not showing correctly.
- Added WordPress 3.1 Functionality to get to UNC Theme Settings through admin bar.
Version 1.3 – February 15, 2011 (.zip) (Written Overview)
- Add Theme Setting to set Default New Page Template
- Add Theme Setting to Control Top Page Navigation Font Weight
- Add Page Templates “Right Sidebar” and “Two Sidebars”
- Remove “Comments Off” when comments are off on pages.
- Add Theme Option to specify Post Heading Style.
- Enable Excerpt feature on Posts Page listing.
- Enabled individual Post Banners using custom field “featured-banner”
- Add option to hide post Tags
Version 1.2 – January 27, 2011 (.zip)
- Add Page Template “No Sidebar” – full width page with no sidebar.
- Support for featured images on blog listing page.
- Widget Area 0 – Top Align Content like the other widget areas.
- Domain Mapping – Add option to General Settings to make “Manage Website” link work.
- Enable second line of page on top menu.
- Remove space from top of blog page listings.
- Remove | between metadata when the area is hidden.
- Fix widget sidebar, and post heading to match style.
Version 1.1 – January 11, 2011 (.zip)
Introduction Video to New Features in Version 1.1
- Add Featured Bulletin Options panel to specify the featured bulletin area.
- Add Option to specify how many featured bulletin items to show (up to 9).
- Add Option to specify the color the featured bulletin background.
- Added custom field to pages “featured-banner” that allows you to add a picture to the top of a page (711X200)
- Add footer area with 5 widget areas, and footer options in theme settings
- Renamed Left and Right Sidebars to make clearer
- Replace Arts & Sciences, and Global Icon for header image
- Set theme to have default “Getting Started” widget
- Enable Page Comment Fields
- Reorder Theme Settings Area
- Add Theme Options for Post Metadata location
- When Comments are off nothing appears.
- Fixed Breadcrumb Trail in Category and Archive Listing
- Fix Captioned Images and Right Justification of Images in CSS
- Add Option to hide the title of page
- Moved Theme settings tab under Appearance
Version 1.0 – Initial Release (.zip)