Editing your website’s sidebar is made easier by using widgets. A Widget is a fancy word for tools or content that you can add, arrange, and remove from the sidebars of your blog. Widgets make it easy to customize the content of your blog sidebar.
- Archives – displays archive links for each month that has posts.
- Calendar – displays a calendar of the current month. Dates appear links if there are posts for that day.
- Pages – displays a link to each Page.
- Search – displays a Search box to enter text to search your blog. A submit button is also provided. In addition to the default widgets, there are widgets that you can add by activating plug-ins.
Some of the plugin widgets web.unc.edu provides:
- AVH Extended Categories Widgets: This plugin replaces the category widget to allow for greater customization of the category widget.
- Events Registration: In addition to allowing users to make an event registration page with a shopping cart, the widget allows for quick reference to events from the dashboard.
- Twitter Widget: Adds a sidebar widget to display Twitter updates.
- WP Events Calendar: This pugin provides a widget with the options to specify the view of the calendar in the sidebar. The widget can be a list for upcoming events or a calendar.
- Navigate to Dashboard>Appearance>Widgets. This brings you to the widgets screen.
- In the middle of the screen are the Available widgets you have to choose from. On the right side of the screen are the available navigation menus you can add widgets to.
- Simply drag widgets from the Available widgets menu to a sidebar on the right to activate them.
- To view widgets you’ve added to a navigation menu, click the arrow on the right of the navigation’s name which will bring up a list of widgets. Click the arrow again to collapse the list.
- Once you’ve chosen the navigation menu you want your widget to appear in, click on the drop down arrow on the right of the widget. This will bring up a window which will allow you to customize your widgets settings. Once you’re finished just click the arrow to collapse the window.
- To move a widget, simply drag it to a new location
- To deactivate widgets or move widgets, drag widgets back from the menu to the Available widgets menu.
- If you wish to temporally remove a widget without losing its settings, drag widgets from the menu to the Inactive Widgets section at the bottom of the page.