Support & Training

General Troubleshooting

Below are a list of general troubleshooting questions we receive and the answers we provide! If you don’t find what you are looking for on this page, please go to our forum and post there.

I can’t figure out how log into my site! 

• To log into your site, add “/wp-admin” to the end of your URL. You will then be taken to the login page where you can enter in your Onyen and password
  • Example: yourdomain.web.unc.edu/wp-admin

The changes I made aren’t showing up! What’s going on?

• Try refreshing the page or post you made changes on! The reason your site isn’t showing the changes is because your site is operating on old information and needs to be “refreshed” in order to receive the new changes.
  • Make sure you Published, Updated, or Saved the changes. If you don’t save or update the page or post, the changes won’t show up.

My site is loading slowly. What can I do?

• Check to see how many plugins you have activated. The more plugins you activate, the more the site has to load! Deactivate any plugins you aren’t using. If you don’t know how to deactivate a plugin, read this Support Article.
  • Check your file sizes for your documents and images. Big file sizes can easily slow down your site. Have a habit of using manageable file sizes.
  • Check your storage space levels. Read this Support Article for more information on storage optimization.

The menu I set up isn’t showing up. What’s going on?

• Check to make you sure you created a menu, saved the menu, and specified the menu location.
  • See the Creating Content section of the Getting Started post

How do I let someone else edit the site?

• Add the person as a user to your site by navigating to Users > Add users. From there, paste their Onyen (without the @email.unc.edu, @live.unc.edu, or @unc.edu) into the field, select which role you want them to be (administrator, editor, etc.), and select add. They will receive a notification email and now be able to log in to your site.
  • Read this Support Article to learn more

I changed the theme and the settings are different. What’s going on?

• When you change your theme, certain aspects of the site will change. You may have a new options for your Header (top of your page) or your background (add a picture or select a color).
  • When in doubt, check the Appearance section as that is where you can often find options to manipulate the theme settings.
  • Read this Support Article to learn more

I uploaded an image/pdf/file onto my page and can’t figure out where it is stored.

• On the left handside of your Dashboard, you will see a Media section. Select that and you will be able to search through and find your media items there!
  • Read this Support Article if you want to know more about the Media Library

I can’t see the top dashboard or the edit options at the bottom of each page. Where did these go?

The top four aspects that affect whether you will see the editing options are the following:
  1. Whether you are logged. If you aren’t logged in, you won’t be able to see any editing options.
  2. Whether your site is domain mapped. Your site is domain mapped if the URL ends in anything other than web.unc.edu (i.e. .com, .org, .net, .unc.edu).
  3. What level of users you are (admin, editor, author, etc). Depending on your user role, you will be able to see more or less options to change the site which can affect whether you can edit certain pages, posts, etc.
  4. Whether you view the site with https:// in front of the URL of your site.

Generally rule of thumb to troubleshoot this problem is to view the site in with https:// in front of your URL and make sure that you are logging into the original site. By original site, I am referring to the site that was domain mapped. For example, instead of logging into example.org/wp-admin, you would log into example.web.unc.edu/wp-admin (the original site).

I don’t want people to view my site while I am finalizing it! What do I do? 

Navigate to Settings > Reading and change the site visibility! Read this Support Article to learn more.