Table of Contents
What is web.unc.edu?
Web.unc.edu is a way to build your own free UNC website powered by WordPress and supported by us. Like WordPress.com where you can get a free blog, UNC community members can create their own free WordPress site through web.unc.edu. Unlike WordPress.com, our sites come loaded with a specific set of plugins and themes picked to meet our users’ needs. Further, instead of having a domain name unaffiliated with the University as offered on WordPress.com, your site will automatically have “web.unc.edu” in the domain name. With several themes and plugins available, we work to provide a flexible and customizable website development experience. If you are looking to create a UNC affiliated site or want access to a free, more customizable, and UNC specific site building environment, you have come to the right place. See our FAQ for more information.
All you need is your Onyen and an idea! If you’re new to WordPress, you may want to check out our glossary to become familiar with the most commonly used terms.
Create a Site
To get started, simply head over to web.unc.edu/create, sign in with your Onyen and register. You’ll need to select a site address (yourdomain.web.unc.edu) that isn’t already in use.
Personalizing Your Site
Once your site is created, you can visit the dashboard for your site by going to
The Dashboard is basically your control center for your site where you can add, edit, and configure the content and the design of your site as well as control settings related to adding users, allowing comments, setting the time zone, etc.
You’ll likely want to change the default tagline. The tagline is basically a descriptive text below the title of your website. By default, your tagline will say “Just another web.unc.edu site”. To change the text of your tagline, follow these instructions:
- Log into the dashboard of your site by going to yourdomain.web.unc.edu/wp-admin/
- Navigate to Settings > General
- From there, you can edit the Site Title and Tagline as shown below
The front page is the first page people see upon going to your site and is often called the homepage. If you want to set up the front page to be a specific page or your most recent posts, follow these instructions:
- Navigate to Settings > Reading
- Where it says “Front page displays”, select from the radio buttons A static page or Your latest posts.
- If you are selecting A static page, you then need to select which page you want from the dropdown menu. Note that in order to select a homepage you must have published the page you want first!
- For this example below, A static page is being chosen for the front page and the “About me” page is being selected as the page to show.
Read this Support Article to learn more
Select a Theme
Next you can select from one of several powerful and well-designed themes to change the appearance of your site. It will have a number of options for customizing the look-and-feel, from colors, to logos and backgrounds, to page layouts. To select a theme follow these instructions:
- Log into the Dashboard of your site and navigate to Appearance > Themes
- To see which themes we currently offer, please read this Support Article
- From there you can browse through the themes we offer, Live Preview a theme, and Activate a theme. The Live Preview feature allows you to get a glimpse of what the theme will look like when activated.
- To view more details, activate, or live preview, simply hover your mouse over top of one of the theme images.
Read this Support Article to learn more
Creating Content: Pages, Posts, and Media Files
Once you’ve selected a theme and changed your site’s appearance, you’re ready for some content. You can add pages, posts for news or a blog, and upload media like images and files. You can also activate plugins to add additional features to your site like an events calendar or forms.
To add content generally, follow these instructions:
- Log onto your site to access the Dashboard.
- From there, you can add posts and pages by going to the left hand side of you page and selecting either Posts or Pages > Add New.
- After you have entered content, hit “Publish” on the right hand side of your page.
Below are a list of articles to help get you started with pages, posts, and media files:
- The Difference Between a Page and a Post: Pages are static content and Posts are date sensitive
- Adding Links To Posts and Pages
- Introduction to the Media Library
- Picture Galleries and Slideshows
- Where to Access UNC Pictures for Your Site
- Adding a Form to Your Website
- Customize Your Sidebar
Creating a Menu
To create a top level menu, follow these instructions
- Log onto your dashboard
- Navigate to Appearance > Menus
- Select “Create New Menu”
- On the left hand side of the page, you can add pages, links, and categories of posts to the menu.
- Drag & Drop menu items to change the order and hierarchy
- Check the Checkbox shown below for Theme Location towards the bottom of the page. This will specify that this is the menu you want to use as you can have multiple saved menus.
- Hit “Save”
Read this Support Article on WordPress.org to learn more
To add customization and extra functionality to your site, check out our current list of stock plugins. From there you can activate plugins on your site and configure them so you do things like create a slider (Responsive Slider Plugin), a form (Gravity Forms Plugin), calendar (The Events Calendar Plugin), or a forum (bbPress Plugin).
To learn more about activating plugins, see this Support Article.
If you made a recent change on your site or if something isn’t showing up the way you specified, please see the tips below for common issues and solutions:
Read this Support Article to learn more about other troubleshooting solutions
I can’t figure out how log into my site!
- To log into your site, add “/wp-admin” to the end of your URL. You will then be taken to the login page where you can enter in your Onyen and password
- Example: yourdomain.web.unc.edu/wp-admin
The changes I made aren’t showing up! What’s going on?
- Try refreshing the page or post you made changes on! The reason your site isn’t showing the changes is because your site is operating on old information and needs to be “refreshed” in order to receive the new changes.
- Make sure you Published, Updated, or Saved the changes. If you don’t save or update the page or post, the changes won’t show up.
The menu I set up isn’t showing up. What’s going on?
- Check to make you sure you created a menu, saved the menu, and specified the menu location.
- See the Creating Content section
I changed the theme and the settings are different. What’s going on?
- When you change your theme, certain aspects of the site will change. You may have a new options for your Header (top of your page) or your background (add a picture or select a color).
- When in doubt, check the Appearance section as that is where you can often find options to manipulate the theme settings.
- Read this Support Article to learn more
I uploaded an image/pdf/file onto my page and can’t figure out where it is stored.
- On the left handside of your Dashboard, you will see a Media section. Select that and you will be able to search through and find your media items there!
If you have a question about web.unc.edu or WordPress in general, check out our support page. Many common questions have already been answered there. If you’re still having trouble, browse or post on our forums, or submit a remedy ticket.